A four-point inspection is an inspection required by your insurance carrier when the house is older than 20 years old. Sometimes the insurance carrier asks for them prior to the house turning 20 years. It is important to note that even though your insurance agent asked you for this inspection it is not the agent but the carrier the one requesting it. Think of the insurance agent as a car dealership (you are negotiating the price of your new car with the car dealership, but they didn’t manufacture your car) same thing applies for insurances, while your insurance agent is trying to get you the best possible coverage with the best possible price they are not the entity insuring you; the carrier is, and they want to know that the property they are about to insure in the near future doesn’t come with existing deficiencies.
That’s where the four-point inspection comes in. The four-point inspection is a limited inspection of the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and roof system.
This inspection is only focused on deficiencies that the Florida state insurance company (Citizens) deem as deficiencies.
This article won’t cover all of the details of how an inspector performs a four-point inspection but here are a few “low hanging fruits” you can take care of prior to booking your four point inspection with Zafras Property Services.
- Have all exposed wires secured inside a junction box that is properly secured to the wall or trusses.
- Have all loose exterior cables secure inside proper conduits.
- Unplug any plugged drain line that is leaking condensed water into the property.
- Replace any damage, loose, or broken duck work.
- Repair any water stains due to ductwork condensation.
- Repair/replace any loose or leaking faucet, washer hoses, p-traps or pipe.
- Replace any rusted washer hoses.
- If your water heater is leaking, replace it.
- If the TPR valve is missing or has been reduced in diameter or it has more than three 90 deg elbows, make sure to hire a professional to do the proper connections.
- Replace / repair any evidence of previous leaks that have been repaired.
- Replace loose roof material.
- Replace any rotten fascia boards.
- Make sure all roof repairs or upgrades are done by a professional.
Simple steps to prepare your home for the inspector:
- Remove any items laying or stored in front of the electrical panel
- Clear a space of 3 feet to the right, 3 feet to the left a clear path to the electrical panel.
We hope this can give you an idea of what to expect and how to be better prepared for your four-point inspection.
Zafras Property Services have served the Dade, Broward and West Palm Beach communities since 2015 with all their home inspection needs. Learn more about us. For more information, call us 954-328-0605 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.